Wednesday, May 24, 2006

May 24, 2006 - A breast pump that works


Gentlemen, please don't try this.  Ever.  Unless of course you're just a glutton for punishment.

Introducing the Avent ISIS manual breast pump.  I asked a girlfriend of mine to buy this on my behalf, as I was having trouble with the first pump I bought, the Medela Mini Electric Plus.  You'd think that the manual wouldn't perform as well as the electric, but in this case, the manual wins.  And wins with flying colors.

I first tried using this in the hospital, but for some reason I couldn't get suction.  I then took another chance, and purchased this for when I travel or need to relieve engorgement (oh man, the milk is really coming in now) in a small, noiseless, easy to operate package.  I assembled it according to the enclosed manual, and voila!  I was able to pump out more milk today with this pump than I ever did with the electric pump in the same time frame, and now there's enough milk in the fridge for when I decide to make lakwatsa or sleep a few extra hours while either Rob or the yaya feeds her.  For the last 2 days, Nicole has been on breast milk exclusively, and that makes me feel at peace.  It's good to know that I'm now able to provide her with what she needs.

The first week is over... friends of ours have said that the first 12 weeks are tough, and that once we weather that, we're good.  Here's to 11 more weeks then of toughing it out.

No comments: