Sunday, May 14, 2006

May 14, 2006 - Anime to the Max

First... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Last night I got to see Voltes V Evolution (why Evolution, I have no idea... it's the exact same cartoon from the 70's).  More than anything, I was curious... curious to see if the new dubbed version in Tagalog (let me preface this by saying that anime in Tagalog has always made me feel a bit weird) would live up to my expectations.  And, with perhaps one or two exceptions, it did.  I was generally impressed with the voice actors that Hero TV picked to play the beloved and reviled characters, so I know that I'll be staying tuned to see how the rest of the episodes turn out.

Although Voltes V is my ultimate favorite anime, there are other series that deserve serious praise for their imagination, drama and animation technique.  Series like Witch Hunter Robin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, Detective Conan, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex... plus classics like Mazinger Z and Daimos.  I got 2 sets of DVDs of Mazinger not too long ago, one for myself and another for my brother. 

I'm sure that if I stayed tuned long enough to Animax or Hero TV, I'll find even more cartoons to fall in love with.  I wonder now if the little one will appreciate that type of entertainment as much as I do, or go in a different direction altogether.  Maybe she'll just think her mom is weird.

No comments: