Saturday, May 20, 2006

May 21, 2006 - Our first all-nighter

Rob is now fast asleep while I'm awake at 5:46 am hand expressing breast milk.  My breast pump for some reason isn't working as well as I would have liked, which is a shame.  I'm engorged up the wazoo, and am desperate for relief (if you have any advice to share, kindly send it my way).

Nicole cried... and cried... and cried.  This little girl has a healthy (very!) set of lungs, which made us feel really helpless.  One theory is that she may not be digesting my breast milk very well (I had pizza and CPK's bbq chicken salad which has cheese in it).  The dairy in my last meal may be the culprit (Rob's lactose intolerant, so I'm thinking Nicole may have gotten that from him).  So I'm going to eliminate the dairy from my diet in the hopes that she'll be able to tolerate my milk.  That's really the way we want to go.  Tonight though we had to do formula, for reasons of digestion and that she hasn't been able to latch on very well at all.  My nipples are sore and really painful (so much so that I've been unable to wear anything from the waist up the whole night).  I've put some lanolin on them for relief, and I think it's working.

Okay, she's crying again... gotta see what's up.

No comments: