Wednesday, May 10, 2006

May 10, 2006 - Pregnancy Blog

I'm just sitting here late at night surfing the net and reading the blogs of friends.  I'm especially envious at their pictures taken on a recent sortie in Boracay.  (Note to self: GO THERE!)

Anyway, I was up late night reading on pain management during labor and the non-medical things I can do in order to stay focused and relaxed.  Listening to music was one of them, and this particular website's recommendations were Enya's Paint The Sky With Stars and Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner.  I gave each of them a quick listen and put them on my iPod.  That little white piece of plastic is going to be my salvation during the many hours that I will be spending writhing in pain.  Oh, I must also remember to bring speakers and headphones, in case I want to listen to stuff while Rob's asleep in the hospital room.

I know that my threshold for pain is quite high (try performing with a sprained ankle while wearing 3 inch heels on an inclined stage set to the union-allowable maximum), but I've been often told that the pain of childbirth is unlike any other.  A valuable piece of advice: "Don't be a hero, get the epidural."  Oh, worry not, I fully intend to.

We didn't take Lamaze or Bradley Method classes; we heard stories of women who, even after taking the courses, opted for the epidural anyway (or, because of medical emergencies, had to have emergency C-sections performed).  So we skipped them.  All of them.  I instead opted to swim at home or walk in the mall.  I still go on an occasional stroll, in the hope that the gravity will somewhat bring the little one down enough to begin the process of labor.  Then again, she seems to be holding on tight.  I guess all we can do is wait.

At the end of this week, I'll be at 39 weeks.  I think she's ripe enough!

No comments: