Tuesday, May 23, 2006

May 23, 2006 - The First Week

Nicole is 1 week old today!!!

Okay, to continue my breastfeeding journal... hey, I'd better have an outlet through which I can vent out my frustrations with the process of getting to the point of comfort and painless feeding.  Right now, I'm not there yet, but I am a very patient woman.

I've gotten tons of advice from my girlfriends and relatives who have gone through this before, and knowing that I'm not alone is more than helpful... it's half the battle.  A little knowledge went a long way: a warm cloth over the breast to aid with engorgement, a little expressed breast milk can heal sore nipples (I put some lanolin ointment in addition to that), different holds, waiting for a wide mouth for a proper latch, staying relaxed while breastfeeding... all that and more. 

My friends have all said, things will get easier.  They're getting easier already.  I'm not one to shirk from a challenge, and this is definitely one that will be conquered.  Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

No comments: