Sunday, April 23, 2006

April 23, 2006 - Can someone clue me in?

Allow me to say that I'm only too, too glad that I am able to control who gets to read my blog, and who doesn't.  I know of one person who was a victim of "blog stalking," so hopefully she's found a safer haven here.

ANYWAY... on to my occasional ranting.

As you may know I'm spending the weekend at my mother's house, sleeping in my old bedroom (on a brand new pillowtop mattress!!!  Ohhhhh yeaaaaaaah, baby!!!).  Last night after saying good night to Rob, I fell asleep and woke up to a beautiful day.  Had a great meal of deep fried red snapper with black bean sauce and hot rice, and a generous helping of canteloupe to cap things off.  I then went into the den and settled on the recliner, continued my knitting and watched a great helping of anime as well as a debunk the Da Vinci Code DVD, to test my mom's new player.  Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

Then I thought to switch the channel to one of the Sunday celebrity gossip shows.  What a bright idea.  NOT!  I go to one program... there's a supposed fight between two female hosts... I then switch to another channel... two lovers: an undying love or an affair going bad?  I then go straight to the Crime/Suspense channel, and am instantly calmed by the sight of an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

The thing that incenses me is just how far these shows will go to dredge up the dirty laundry of these celebrities.  The poor celebrity, already under fire, has to then either lie about or deny the allegations posed by the hosts (if said allegations are indeed true). 

Why?  Why is there this need to dig so deep?  Is this a demand from the television audiences at home?  Is this a ploy by the TV networks to boost ratings?  Do they really think all this drivel is interesting?

Perhaps to some other TV viewer, but not to me.  Playing dirty isn't my idea of good TV.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy celebrity television... seeing a red carpet parade and who's wearing whom... a glamorous premiere or another illustrious function... celebrity sports shows and other fun stuff.  However, I don't really care to know who's sleeping with whom, who's in rehab (again), which best friends are fighting and who's made up, the contents of divorce papers or emancipation transcripts.

Maybe because I get a great view from both sides is why my opinion is such.  I know what it's like to watch and be watched... to observe and be observed.  Perhaps I don't like watching someone else's dirty laundry aired out for the sake of ratings is because I wouldn't want that happening to me.  I married a very private man and we live a relatively private life, and we'd like to keep it that way. 

*Sigh*

Perhaps there will be that one day when a celebrity show over here won't have to resort to the tactics of the cheap and low.  Then again, would that be asking for the moon?

No comments: