Friday, April 7, 2006

April 07, 2006 - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

That's the title of the Act II opener of one of my favorite musicals currently running on Broadway, "Spamalot".  I never saw the movie on which the show is based, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," but if the movie is anything like the show, I'll be in for one heck of a laugh trip.  Spamalot had me crying from laughing so much.  It's a show I would eventually love to do, if only to work with the wonderfully talented people who are part of it.

I've always been one to try and see the positive side of things.  It keeps me sane, it keeps me peaceful.  I see no point in swimming in a sea of negativity, and try to keep my distance from those who block out the sun.  There are people that do suck the life out of a room, be it on purpose or not, people who make my vision go black when I'm around them.  It isn't always easy to keep the atmosphere pleasant in the presence of such individuals, and when I sense that the fresh air is about to go stale, I bolt.

These people are not to be confused with those who have honest-to-goodness angst to grind.  I speak only of those who seem to derive pleasure by putting others down, making others look weak in an attempt to make themselves look good.  What's the point in that?  I mean, really?

Especially now that I'm about to give birth, I make it a point to surround myself with energy that is light, positive and generally happy.  My friends are wonderful people that are able to rise above the occasional sadness of life and emerge even stronger.  It's great to be around them.  It's a positive influence on me, and hopefully I'm able to be a positive influence as well, to bring even a small amount of light into their world.

My daughter is going to be the light of my life... while she's baking, mommy will be around her favorite shiny, happy people.  I want my little one to smile a lot, and to have many reasons to.