Monday, April 17, 2006

April 16, 2006 - Childhood


HAPPY EASTER, EVERYBODY!

The above photo is probably one of my favorites... Voltes V was definitely my favorite cartoon growing up, and like many other children in the mid 1970s, was incensed... outraged even... when GMA7 pulled the show (and the other robot anime series that were airing at the time) off the air.  There were quite a few conspiracy theories that were whispered, the loudest one being that the Marcos government was behind it.  Supposedly, Voltes V's theme of the common tao rising up against an imperialist power was enough... that the government thought it would incite an actual uprising by the people against the ruling regime. 

If you think about it, the people who rose up against Marcos during the EDSA revolution were the kids of Voltes V.

I'm still an avid cartoon viewer, but nothing I've seen since has rivalled the impact of Voltes V on me.  The dramatics of the storyline... the dialogue... and sometimes, even the voice acting (Joonee Gamboa is AWESOME).  I watched two episodes today, and found myself in tears.

It's great that there's this time machine of sorts that can bring me back to a more innocent, playful time of my life, one where there were no complications, no problems.  Just a comfy seat at 6 pm on Friday.

No comments: