Sunday, April 9, 2006

April 09, 2006 - Pregnancy Blog


I am now without a doubt, gloriously pregnant.  More like gargantually pre-birth... gigantically pre-natal.  In other words, I look like a whale, but only in my abdominal area.  The rest of me looks the same.  Which is a bit of a conundrum to me.  I was expecting to grow EVERYWHERE, and instead, I grew in only one general area.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I'm grateful that it turned out this way.  It also helped that my doctor told me to not gain more than 20 lbs (I was actually 10-15 lbs overweight when I got pregnant, so it's as if I gained 30-35 lbs).  It's all good.

We've only now just started putting together the baby's things.  Last night we assembled the crib.  We intend to have her sleep in the room with us, to make the frequent nursings easier for all of us.  But -- being the idiots that we are -- we put the crib together in another room, and were unable to wheel it out to our bedroom.  We had to disassemble the thing, and then reassemble it once in the correct room.  A bit of a hassle, but nothing that tried our patience.  The rest of her stuff should be easy to put together: the standalone plastic tub, the playpen, and the bassinet.  I think we'll be fine.

It's funny... one frequent question asked of us is, "Is the nursery ready?"  Honestly, we don't have a nursery prepared for her, per se.  There isn't a separate room painted in pastel colors, with colorful animated character borders, a white rocking chair in a corner and a mobile hanging over the crib.  Right now, we have a crib.  The mattress is still wrapped in plastic, the playpen, stroller and car carrier are still in their original boxes, the clothes have not yet been washed and folded, toys not organized. 

Yeah, we don't have Type A personalities.

Maybe it's better like this, that we aren't in such a huge rush to get everything together, and that we're laid back in a lot of ways in preparation for the baby's arrival.  I don't want to be all frantic and crazy when she is here; the rest of our lives are going to be that way.  Perhaps it's good that we're taking more of a relaxed attitude towards everything... the baby will be a reflection of that.  I hope.

In any case, we know and are aware that we'll have to get everything ready soon, and everything will be.  Rest assured that when this little angel arrives, everything she needs will be within arms' length.

No comments: