Sunday, April 9, 2006

April 08, 2006 - Peeved

Last night, I was peeved.  Monumentally pissed off, incredibly irritated.  Rob had to keep rubbing my back to calm me down and cool my head, but for the most part I was muttering under my breath at the events of the day.

My brother didn't give me any reasonable advanced notice that he was going to move today.  Saturday.  Rob found out at 5 pm yesterday, Friday, and even then he said that he wasn't totally sure... until I went downstairs and saw boxes being assembled and packed (and my brother sitting on the La-Z-Boy watching The Masters).  I had myself a snack, hiked back up the stairs and began to seethe.  The reason why I was seething?  I wasn't given enough time to buy new appliances that would replace the ones that were moving to his new house: a fridge, stove, toaster, microwave, a washer and dryer, and hot/cold water dispenser.  WHY DIDN'T I GET ENOUGH ADVANCED NOTICE?  He said that he told me about it; he didn't.  I would have remembered something like that.  So there I was, in bed, trying my darndest to get comfortable (I'm having enough trouble sleeping as it is... I didn't need any added stress).  I brought out my knitting to try and relax me; didn't work.  I tried getting into a sleep position... I ended up waking Rob, who then asked me what was wrong.  I then began my litany of under-the-breath mutterings, and he was rubbing my back through it all.  I had a feeling that I wouldn't be smiling when I woke up the next day.

So the next day came, which is today.  I went down to my favorite breakfast of Spam, eggs and rice... had a tall glass of cranberry juice with lots of ice... and we headed to the mall.  We first dropped off a FedEx package, and then went to the appliance store.  Thankfully everything we needed was right there: the fridge, the stove, the toaster, microwave and washer dryer.  We even found a water dispenser that had a sterilizer at the bottom.  Cooooooool!  After we paid for everything (and arranged for a convenient delivery day -- Tuesday), we headed to Babyland to check out a changing table (after which we deemed it unnecessary) and headed to a nearby Japanese restaurant for lunch.  By this time I had a smile on my face, knowing that all went well this morning, and my day began right.

At the end of the day, I really didn't have a reason to seethe... everything turned out okay, and we'll have a fantastic kitchen once everything is delivered.  Life is good.

I guess I sweated small stuff when I didn't need to... I just had to take a step back and realize that this was but a minor snafu.  A lot of the time, we let little things get under our skin when they don't have to.  Yeah, I'll have my days of steam coming out of my ears, but there will be this little voice inside me saying that all of it will pass, and that everything will be all right.

No comments: