Friday, July 7, 2006

Entry for July 07, 2006 - The Healing Touch


Even at this early stage of her life, Nicole realizes the importance of the human touch.  I was holding her while surfing the internet tonight after I nursed her, and she fell fast asleep.  Her breathing was deep and her face so peaceful, her cheek pressed against my chest.  At that moment I envied her.  How at that moment I wanted to be held close, falling asleep to the beat of a strong heart.  But alas, I was on mommy duty... my own sleepy-time embrace will just have to wait.

One cannot underestimate just how powerful touch is.  What that can convey is absolutely amazing.  No words are required, they would only be a waste of time.  I've found myself the fortunate recipient of a good long hug at a time when my mind was blinded by anger, sadness and/or frustration at the circumstance of the moment, as well as the giver of one when in the company of someone that needs it for one reason or another.  Strangely enough, even giving can be as healing as receiving.

Throughout my lifetime I will always require my fair share of tactile communication... I don't think I could live without it.  It brings about comfort... it placates... it heals.  More than words, it is by far the most wonderful and effective way to give and receive love.

-----------------------

I found the above photo during my internet surf session.  Seeing it, and reading its story, made me cry.

This is a picture from an article called "The Rescuing Hug." The article details the first week of life of a set of twins, Brielle (left) and Kyrie (right).


Apparently, each were in their respective incubators, and one was not expected to live. A hospital nurse fought against the hospital rules and placed the babies in one incubator. When they were placed together, the healthier of the two threw an arm over her sister in an endearing embrace. The smaller baby's heart rate stabilized and her temperature rose to normal!


They both survived and are thriving. In fact, the two girls went home to share a crib and still snuggle. The hospital changed their policy after they saw the effect of putting the two girls togther, and now they bed multiples together.


Let us not forget to embrace those whom we love, and never underestimate the power of a hug! 


1 comment:

elisha gay hidalgo said...

This is a really touching story as I have twins myself. Old folks told me to put them in separate cribs to prevent them from getting sick at the same time.This story got me thinking otherwise.Sweet story -the healing power of the human touch.