Saturday, February 3, 2007

February 03, 2007 - Spatiquette

I'm a spa person. I love the scent of essential oils wafting through the air, the feel of plush towels against my skin, and the hands of a talented masseuse working through my weary muscles. It's a peaceful, quiet, rejuvenating experience I indulge in from time to time, and for the most part I leave with a smile on my face.

However... there are times when my spa experience is marred by the ring of a cellphone, the sound of a soccer match on TV, or loud conversation. Hence, here's my list of how to conduct oneself in a spa, to make the few hours spent there an enjoyable one:

1. Everyone else around you is trying to relax... this isn't the time to be yakking away on your cellphone. If you must take a call, put your phone on silent mode, and keep the vocal volume low. You came to the spa to escape the outside world, so leave part of that world in your locker.

2. Many times, the inhabitants of a spa stroll around in their birthday suits (hey, sometimes I do). So do these others a favor, and keep your eye level above the delicate areas. It shows respect.

3. When coming to the spa with company, of course you'll have a conversation. Keep this exchange as low in volume as you can, particularly when sharing a common area with other spa patrons, such as in a foot spa area.

4. Tip your therapist fairly. They have a tough enough time doing their jobs. Imagine a customer coming in with body odor or fungus-ridden feet.

That's all I can think of for now... anything else we can add?

1 comment:

Jessica Fong said...

I don't know. I've never been to a spa... It sounds lovely, but I don't know that I'm comfortable with the idea of strangers touching/massaging me and seeing me (gulp) in the nuddy.