Thursday, August 17, 2006

August 17, 2006 - Brain... Shut... Down...

I think my brain has suffered a complete and utter meltdown.  Or shutdown.  Or whatever you wanna call it.

At a rehearsal last night for a three-song set that I will be performing tonight (no, not a public gig, hence it hasn't been announced), I grabbed my things and headed out of the studio, when I suddenly remembered that I had to retrieve my water bottle.  I went back into the studio looking for it... couldn't find it!!!  Where did it go?  I then went outside to the lobby where the engineers who were manning the rehearsal had congregated... asked them where my bottle had gone.  Then, one of the security people pointed to my left hand... I raised it... there was my bottle, hanging from one finger.  WHAT THE F**********CK?!?!?!?!?

This wasn't the first time my brain decided to go on vacation without me...

A couple of years ago, I was feeling a chill in the air so I decided to raise the temperature.  I headed downstairs to where the thermostat was, but by the time I arrived, I completely forgot why I was there.  So I thought to watch some TV, straighten up the living room, play video games... then I felt the chill in the air, and went to raise the temperature.  It then dawned on me: THAT'S WHY I WENT DOWNSTAIRS!!!  WHAT THE F**************CK?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Nowadays (since I gave birth), conversations are a little more difficult to follow.  A friend will tell me something, and five minutes later, I'll have to ask for him or her to repeat what he/she said.  Or I'll get dates confused, thinking that two weeks from now is next week.

I swear, one of these days I'm going to forget my own name.

Strange... I can remember scripts, lyrics, melodies without trouble, but for the life of me I can't always remember where I put my purse, umbrella, keys, sunglasses or whatever else I'm carrying, what someone told me just moments earlier, or the dates on a calendar.  How utterly annoying!!!

Ah well, such is life I guess.  Perhaps over the course of many years because of my work, there were parts of my brain that were used more often (and thus got more exercise).  I'm sure there are other things that moronize me from time to time...

The truth is, I don't mind the occasional shut-down.  As long as for the most part I'm able to function and remember what is most important in my life, I'm in a good place.

No comments: