Friday, August 4, 2006

August 04, 2006 - Friends

Yesterday was the first time the sun came out in days, and that made me happy.  That overcast sky and clouds of grey were actually getting to me, in as much as I love the rain.  More than the weather was causing my spirit to lift though, as it was lunch time with Bobby, Chari, Girl Girl and Jett.  Bobby's here for a little vacation from Disneyland, so he asked us to join him for a meal.  There were many stories shared and plenty of laughter to spare, not to mention great food.  Of course as always, the time spent together was not enough, and soon Bobby will head back to Mickey Mouse.  Well, if nothing else, I look forward to the time we are able to see each other, but I do miss him when he's away.

For many years, that was kind of the life I led, long chunks of time spent in one place, which meant long chunks away from another.  It was helpful that I had friends in every home base, which made me feel less homesick.  What I did find wonderful was that when I did return to a place and see my friends, it was as if no time was spent apart and we were just picking up where we left off.  It was incredibly comforting.  Still is.

I don't know if that'll be the life I still wish to lead... now that there's a baby in the picture, structure and permanence is what's called for, not the gypsy life.  On the other hand, while she's portable and not in school yet, it isn't a bad time to go from homestead to homestead, to see what the future holds for me and my little family.  I know that there's a tour on the horizon, which means a really nice opportunity to travel through the Asian region, something that I've never had the chance to do before.  It's exciting, to be sure!

But...

After all is said and done I'd like to make my home here.  I've lived in a lot of places and have at times been determined to stay away from the Philippines (for reasons of privacy, ambition, whatever).  Now, life has changed (for the better, I must add), and my heart feels that it wants to stay here.  At least for right this minute, that's what it wants.  My head thinks it's a pretty good idea too.

I know that I want to live here... I know that I want to die here.  This is my homeland, and something in me is saying that it's time to stay.

No comments: