Saturday, May 12, 2007

May 12, 2007 - Fantastically Ugly

The associate director of Les Miz paid me what is probably the nicest compliment I have ever received: "You have one of the most beautiful voices in the world, yet you're not afraid to be ugly playing this role (Fantine)." It only encourages me to dig even deeper into myself to bring forth whatever I find that is unsavory, unbecoming, utterly deplorable, and despised. Yeah... ugly.

To be honest it's something I can't say I've played a lot. I've most often been cast as the leading lady or ingenue, expected to always be beautiful from beginning to end. This is one time I get to travel from holding my head high to sitting in a gutter. It's a scary journey to be sure, but an exciting one to take. And even in all that ugliness, there is beauty to be found.

Don't be afraid to come face to face with what you judge to be ugly... you'll never know what you might find.

No comments: