Thursday, July 12, 2007

July 12, 2007 - Eating Alone

After yesterday's matinee (and before my hour-long, much needed massage), I headed to a nearby Japanese restaurant alone to grab some dinner... I was surrounded by other actor-singer-dancers from other nearby shows... some talking quietly about whatever... others speaking more loudly. One in particular was speaking about his boyfriend's being less than successful at auditions for shows. I couldn't help but overhear... then again, I don't think the rest of the patrons could either.

Anyway, I just wasn't in the mood to eat with company. I went to eat alone, by choice. I wanted to not be distracted by conversation, and just enjoy the meal set before me. Besides, it's been a while before I've had any "me" time.

Boy, did I enjoy it. The cup of green tea that started my meal was hot and soothing, as was my bowl of miso soup. The sushi I ordered was just perfect, each piece of fish fresh and delicious (I saved the pieces of salmon for last). I savored every bite, let my tongue roll off every slippery piece, just flavored with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi, and smiled. I'm hoping that none of the other patrons found me strange. Yes, I do love my food.

It was a welcome change to head to dinner solo. No phone calls came in, no texts heading out. Just me, a pair of chopsticks and a delicious meal. I don't think I could have spent a better afternoon alone.

No comments: