Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 11, 2007 - Knitting

One of my hobbies is knitting... at the moment, I'm knitting a scarf and a baby blanket to help me wind down from my nights at the theatre.

My scarf was progressing quite well... however... I had to take it apart, unraveling it knot by knot, stitch by stitch. You see, I dropped a stitch (or decreased a row), and I couldn't fix it. I tried to find the right holes... tried to go row by row to see how I could repair it... but at the end of it, I couldn't. In my anger, I ripped it apart, taking each stitch out, pulling the yarn, yard by yard, until the scarf was no more. I had invested quite a bit of time and effort in my knitting this article of clothing... a few minutes here... a few minutes there, whenever I could... and it was turning out beautiful. However it was, in the end, ripped apart and disassembled... all because of a tiny little pipsqueak of a stitch that I couldn't find and therefore fix.

Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise... perhaps I needed to unravel my scarf down to its basest elemental level: the ball of yarn with which I started. Now, it's time to cast on, and start fresh. Hopefully this time, the scarf will be clean, and in my eyes, perfect. And yes, I do intend to finish it by the fall, to wrap around my neck and keep me warm.

No comments: