Tuesday, January 30, 2007

January 30, 2007 - Celebrity

I just came home from a taping for Sharon. Yes, it's always a wonderful time whenever I guest on the Megastar's TV show. At every turn, she is gracious, warm and attentive, with an infectious energy that bubbles over through the TV screen and into your TV watching space.

Sometimes I wonder if all that is due to an acute awareness of her celebrity, thus she knows that she can't be a bitch in public.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt her sincerity one bit. I know that everything she does, in public or in private, comes from a place of kindness. It's just that... well... as someone who's been in the public eye for over 28 years (29 this March), I just wonder how much of that is training, and how much of it is real? I have to admire her for knowing her celebrity as well as she does. It's something I need to learn and remember from time to time.

I read somewhere that Jimmy Stewart was an incredibly gracious man, who always took care of his fans. One anecdote read that Raquel Welch asked him why he made sure to sign autographs and take a photo with the fans at the stage door that asked him for one. His reply went something like, "These people came all the way from wherever to see me; the least I can do is pose for a picture." Admirable.

I'm quite proud of the fact that I've never had to ever be a complete and total bitch at the workplace or anywhere else. Never threw furniture or coffee cups or ashtrays... never hurled expletives at a co-worker... never once threw my weight around because of "who I was". That's total bullshit. If a situation can be handled with a cool head and a smile, then my reputation for keeping my wits about me is only further cemented. Losing my cool is never an option.

Perhaps I have learned something in the many years I've watched famous people around me conduct themselves. I am very much aware that for most, if not all, of the time, I'm being watched. Wherever I go there are eyes that follow me, whether in admiration or scorn, and I know how to deal with it... with grace and a smile.

No comments: