Wednesday, August 1, 2007

August 01, 2007 - How do you say I love you?

Those three simple, beautiful, packed-with-a-wallop words shouldn't be too easy to say. (And no, the "I love you's" shouted at concerts and gigs don't count, although no less sincere.)

I've never really been one to just throw those words around. It kinda cheapens things when they're reduced to something perfunctory. I've actually had people tell me that they love me or that they miss me, only to not have me say the same in return (oops). It makes me feel... for lack of a better word... icky. Positively icky, like I just swallowed a bottle of high fructose corn syrup.

For me, I love those "I love you's" that are heartfelt... the ones that make my insides feel warm, like I just drank a mug of hot chocolate... the kind that wraps me like a blanket and makes me feel safe... the kind that lets me know that I'm being looked out for.

So I don't bother saying the words unless I know, deep in my heart, that I really mean it, and I'd rather not hear them if it doesn't feel right. I much prefer the one wallop packed than a million uttered insincerities.

No comments: