Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Entry for April 03, 2007 - Anatomy of a brat

I've been on the topic of brats lately. Brats are people I cannot stand. Even one molecule close enough to me, and it makes me want to hurl.

Spoiled... obnoxious... loud... immature... kulang sa pansin or nagpapapansin... never, ever wrong in their own minds (may God help us all)...

I'm one to be extremely blunt -- ask any of my closest friends --, and woe be to whoever asks the question, "Lea, am I being stupid, have I behaved badly, am I being a brat?" If the answer is a resounding "yes," then said person gets a full detailed lowdown of exactly to what degree of bratty heights he or she has reached. Why say "of course not" when the facts point the other way? You're only enabling the brat, not ridding him or her of the bratty ways.

So, what do I do in the presence of a brat? Stay the hell away. At a party or a private gathering, at a funeral or a wedding, at any assembly of familiar people, I just keep my distance... mentally... emotionally... physically. Or I drink until I'm oblivious to their presence. Hey, why spoil a perfectly good evening?

I'd like to be optimistic and say that there's hope for these poor beings, that they can be made aware of their ways and strive to not be such incredible idiots. Self-awareness is one of the most difficult things to achieve, even for the best of us all, and perhaps this is a step in the right direction.

Next time your bratty friend asks you for an honest opinion, give it to them. You say you're a friend? Then you owe them that much. You'll be much appreciated in the long run. However, if you're then kicked out of their circle, then you know just where you stand and will therefore be better off without them in your life.

No comments: