Saturday, April 28, 2007

April 28, 2007 - Smile

My physical malaise is behind me, thank goodness... my throat is holding up very well and my tailbone area is no longer in pain. Yeah, I had some throat issues not too long ago, and a wrong fall onstage resulted in my tailbone area feeling bruised. I couldn't sit down, and doing the show was quite uncomfortable. But now, after a couple of days of Epsom Salt soaks, Tylenol and TLC, the pain is all gone. It's as if nothing happened.

Now I'm back to having fun doing what I love to do. And it feels great!

I don't like it when I'm in that strange position of hating every minute that I'm onstage, for whatever reason: that my costumes are ill-fitting, that my wigs make me look like some kind of hideous, monstrous beast, that my physical being is weak and uncooperative for performing, that I'm just having a really bad day. I've gone through all these at one point or another in my career, but the show always went on... and things were never really as bad as I thought. At the end of each run of every show I do, I feel like something in me grew and thrived. At the end of it all, I fall madly, deeply desperately in love. And in spite of the risks and possible pitfalls, I'm right there in the thick of things, ready to do it all over again.

An artistic life is never easy... but when you feel the call to it, answer it. There's nothing like this life, and I would never wish to live any other life.

No comments: