It's New Year's Eve over here... and the usual dread of hearing fireworks and other noisemakers is upon me. The reasoning is that the noise is meant to drive out the bad spirits of the previous year in preparation for the coming year. I don't think anyone makes more noise than we do on the Eve, yet we're still plagued by whatever's plaguing us through the years. So... I guess that "bad spirits" theory is screwed, huh?
Having said that there is much to reflect upon and be thankful for, wonderful blessings from the past year. Here are a few of them:
- My first US concert tour - we visited San Francisco, Chicago, Atlantic City and Los Angeles. I learned a lot about mounting a concert... what works, what doesn't, and basically how to have fun in spite of the stress involved.
- Moving back to Manila - Rob's LA-based company formed a joint venture with a company based in Manila, so he's had to move to Manila. He's been here since March, and I followed in April after my acting classes were done and other gigs were completed. It's been such a joy living here after a long time away... a decision which led to other blessings.
- Coaching - I credit (and sometimes blame) Bobby Garcia for the challenge of coaching KC Concepcion and Karel Marquez. Thank goodness I had a wonderful coaching partner (and mentor) in Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, someone to hold my hand through the process. Menchu then gave me the task of coaching Raki Vega and Jett Pangan for another show. Each person is different, and the challenge for me was to find the unique vocabulary with which to coach each one. I hope to do more of this in the future.
- I'm pregnant!!! - in September, Rob and I found out that we were going to be parents! We still don't know the gender of our little peanut yet (it refuses to uncross its legs... hence it's probably a girl), so we're ready with lots of unisex items. We still have yet to get some of the other things we'll need. I like the idea of the unisex stuff; that way if we have a different gender next, we won't have to go out and buy new stuff. We'll already be prepared. Thank Rob's cousin for that bit of down-to-earth reasoning. She already has a girl, and has no idea what she's having next.
- Carnegie Hall - one night... one fabulous night. If I never ever get to perform in this great hall again, at least I can say I've done it, and did it with a bang. Many thanks to Diverse City Theater Company for making it all happen (and for asking me in the first place!).
- The blessing of friends and family - 2005 was the year in which old friendships were rekindled and new ones were founded. My clutch of friends hasn't exactly gotten that much bigger (and I like it that way), but the ones I have found are true blue, and I thank God for each and every one of them. Sure, we'll have a few frustrating times, but on the whole their presence in my life makes me smile everyday. As for family, the coming arrival has brought out so much love headed in Rob's and my direction. Everyone's anticipating this new baby, and we can't wait to meet him/her.
That's about all... 2006 should be a stellar year for our new family. I'm not thinking about work at all; that may have to wait until 2007. For right now, it's all about the baby, my husband, family and friends. AND getting my figure back after I give birth.